Pet Friendly Community

When deciding to relocate, the last thing you want to worry about is how your favorite furry friend will handle the transition. Missoulians love their pets and you won’t find it difficult to locate pet-friendly hotels, shops and services. Missoula Parks & Recreation, in conjunction with Lolo National Forest and Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, creates a great pamphlet – A Dog Owner’s Guide to Outdoor Opportunities in the Missoula Area.

The brochure features a map of some favorite dog destinations, areas where wildlife trapping is not allowed, and tips for where to go and what to expect from the locals.

For more information about rules and regulations for various sites, please contact:

Lolo National Forest
Fort Missoula, Bldg 24
Missoula, MT 59804
(406) 329-3750

City of Missoula Parks & Recreation
600 Cregg Ln
Missoula, MT 59802
(406) 552-6258

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP)
3021 Spurgin Rd
Missoula, MT
(406) 542-5500

4Wheeling Dogs

A few areas to exercise your pup without a leash are:
Off-leash and under voice control

  • Jacob’s Island Bark Park
  • Fort Missoula Canine Campus
  • Blue Mountain Recreation Area
  • Pattee Canyon Recreation Area (Please note that no dogs are allowed on groomed ski trails in winter.)

With a leash

  • Some areas on Mount Sentinel and Mount Jumbo, where posted
  • All parks and trails within city limits, including the riverfront trail system
  • Maclay Flats Recreation Site
  • Rattlesnake National Recreation Area (Leashes required in the North Hills unless otherwise posted)
  • Kelly Island Fishing Access Site

Pet Licensing

Both City and County residents must license all dogs over the age of four months. New residents must purchase a dog license within 60 days of moving into the County or City. Contact Animal Control at (406) 541-7387 for more information.

To purchase a dog license, you must have a copy of the current rabies certifi cate, certifi cation of training for service dogs, and proof that your dog have been spayed or neutered in order to receive a discount.

You can purchase a license at any of the following locations:

City Hall – City Finance Office
435 Ryman St
Missoula, MT 59802
(406) 552-6121

County Courthouse – County Treasurer’s Office
200 W Broadway
Missoula, MT 59802
(406) 721-5700

Missoula County Health Department
301 W Alder
Missoula, MT 59802
(406) 258-4770

Missoula County Animal Control
6700 Butler Creek Rd
Missoula, MT 59802
(406) 541-7387

There are plenty of facilities in Missoula to keep your pets healthy and
happy. Here are a few of our favorites:

Murdoch’s Ranch and Home Supply
2801 W. Broadway
Missoula, MT 59808
(406) 549-2355

Montana ACE Hardware
2301 Brooks St.
Missoula, Mt 59801
(406) 728-3030

Mountain West Cooperative
4570 N. Reserve St.
Missoula, MT 59808
(406) 543-8383

Paws and Pamper L.L.C. 
3355 Clark St.
Missoula, MT 59801
(406) 552-2157

Blue Mountain Veterinary Hospital and Surgery

4646 Buckhouse Ln.
Missoula, Mt 59804
(406) 251-4150

Tractor Supply Company
12150 Hwy. 93 South
Lolo, MT 59847
(406) 273-4777

(406) 721-4710

The Humane Society of Western Montana
(406) 549-3934


Missoula Animal Control
(406) 541-7387